Monday, July 14, 2008

Python Quake3 BSP Parser

So I spent a few hours working up a parser for quake3 bsp files in python. I intend to start writing a couple of simple opengl display modules using various methods to show the BSP files.  Maybe I will post this to google code or something when I am done.

The main thing I like about my parser is that it is very simple, only 200 lines or so including some basic test code.  Currently it handles all of the format except for the game specific information, such as spawn points, doors, etc.  I think I will need to modify it more when I get around to rendering through vertex buffers though, as it currently pulls all data out into classes before returning it, which is great for usability, but poor for performance.  

At the moment it is more meant as a self education tool while I continue to play with 3d graphics.  stay tuned for my findings :)

No comments: