Friday, July 18, 2008

It Works!


So a couple of hours of hacking today have gotten me over the initial OpenGL pains, and given me a basic render of the map. It aint pretty, it aint fast, but it works.

Put simply I took the vertex list from my previous post, and ran it through a GL_TRIANGLES call. Put in a simple lighting model, and some appropriate camera movement code and voila, a working map viewer. Of course it has it's problems, using such a simple scheme the viewer crawls (maybe 1 fps?), but it has been great for increasing my confidence that I am getting this stuff down pat.

anyway here is the core of the code and a screenshot to prove it works, I am not sure whether to work on the speed next, or get texturing and lighting working better to give better static screenshots :)

I am not sure why I can't pass the arrays as is to glColor and glNormal, maybe it is a bug in pyopengl, it needs further investigation.

Cheers,
Naltai


glBegin(GL_TRIANGLES)
for v in self.vertices:
glColor(*v.color)
glNormal(*v.normal)
glVertex(v.position)
glEnd()



No comments: